Friday, September 25, 2009

Jackpot

Hey guys,

In the words of Jim Anchower, I know it's been a long time since I've rapped at ya, but things have been in flux. Two weeks ago I left UCSB to go to Baltimore to visit my girlfriend. I ended up staying longer than expected to give a talk about research and grad school. Then, I somehow ended up flying back to Chicago Sunday to drive out to LA with my friend (who's moving to Hollywood). A couple of highlights:

-On tuesday we went through Colorado, where 26 degrees (Farenhieght), snow and sleet made driving quite hazardous. The very next day is was 108 (midmorning) in Death Valley.

-Vegas is amazing. The mix of money and sadness is like a flurescent Earnest Hemmingway. Somehow, I actually broke even after a night of penny slots and $3 blackjack.

Anyway, I had left some bottles which I wasn't able to cash in, so I went today to a new spot- the recycling center in IV. It was busy but I was able to get in before closing and cash my $5.45 cents at the IV Market. I met a guy named George. He's been living in IV (Anisqovo Park) for 5 months, doing construction and collecting because he's "got habits", as he put it. I didn't get a photo because things were kind of hectic, unfortunately.

On the way back, I decided to cruise by Rob Field (apparently the name of the aforementioned "practice fields". I did my walk around the recyle bins and -BOOM!- I filled both IKEA bags in 20 minutes:


I guess now that kids are here and lots of sports are practicing, it's a good time to be a can collector. Tonight is the first Friday since school's started. I'll try to snap some pix, but I'm not sure I can hold any more bottles right now. In the words of my friend Emil (a UCSB alum), "when it rains, it pours."

Ok guys thanks for reading! Drop a comment if you're curious about anything!

-Charles

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Pretty soon you might have to increase your capacity.

    -andy

    ReplyDelete